"When Harris is at a party, and is asked to sing, he replies: 'Well, I can only sing a comic song, you know'; and he says it in a tone that implies that his singing of that however is a thing that you ought to hear once, and then die."

-Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

Saturday, March 17, 2007

a piece of history

It's funny how people you never knew, or people you hardly ever see, become inextricably entangled in your life because you think about them, or are reminded of them constantly.

Our house was built in 1903, and I find myself wondering about the families who once went about their everyday lives here. It's like everyday, I find different little things that clue me in about what their lives were like, and what they were like as individuals.

I wonder about the family who built this house, the Meisenheimers. I find their names carved in trees when I take walks. We have pictures of them. Their names are carved into the foundation of our house. I pass their headstones when I drive into town. They are gone, but they are still very much a part of my life. It's odd to think about this family going through their lives here 100 years ago in a style that is so different from the way I live mine here today.





The Meisenheimers lost this house in the early 30s, and it changed hands several times, before coming into the possession of a Mr. Brakefield. Mr. Brakefield did many things to the house. He placed interesting and beautiful stained glass windows throughout the house. He had an auto repair service in the garage. He built a beautiful stone wall outside and an equally beautiful stone fireplace in the front. He also did wondrously strange things such as building a fence out of iron headboards up the driveway, and shoving all of his garbage over the property line. But I see Mr. Brakefield's handiwork around me everyday-- he was a hard worker full of interesting ideas. He must have been quite the character.

Then there is the house itself...we cannot do anything in this house without being reminded that other people lived here first. Whether we are trying to repaint while peeling off years of other people's choices of wall paper, looking at the oddly patterned linoleum floors (they honestly resemble the inside of a kaleidoscope), or standing on the indoor-outdoor carpeting in the kitchen, it is entirely obvious that this house has been decorated with a century of styles, none of which are anything to be desired today, but all of which are incredibly interesting.

The Kaleidoscope Floor
I wonder if, 100 years from now, someone will peel off layers of wall paper and come upon a bright orange wall. I bet they'll wonder what sort of idiot would paint a room orange. It happens to be my favorite color, thank you very much...



3 comments:

S. Cox said...

I never knew you lived in such a house...Ashlyn, you need to write a Christian novel about it. Imagine what the people who lived there were like and write about it and then throw some Jesus in there and viola! In the back cover you can have a picture of the actual house. It's so perfect! I can imagine it all now!

It would even say "based on true events" like all cool books!

Unknown said...

That is totally awesome! I would love to live in a house like that. I would totally be looking for hidden rooms and whatnot.

Daphne said...

I really envy your cool house. Mine is interesting, all right, but more in the sense of "the-cheapskates-who-built-this-thing-in-the
1970s-cut-so-many-corners-the-place-is
totally-gonna-cave-in-one-of-these-days"...

And you could totally write a Christian novel about it. Make the linoleum a recurring motif and call the book "Kaleidoscopes of the heart" or something like that... and make sure your cover art is a sort of blurry picture of a wistful girl looking away from the house. Ideally, the girl should be wearing a gingham dress and look kind of sappy. Then just throw in some kind of cheesy subtitle about "coming home to her Father's heart" and you have a Lifeway blockbuster set to sell like crazy to middle-aged women's bible study groups!

OK, I enjoyed that way too much... :-D