"When Harris is at a party, and is asked to sing, he replies: 'Well, I can only sing a comic song, you know'; and he says it in a tone that implies that his singing of that however is a thing that you ought to hear once, and then die."

-Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

Saturday, December 29, 2007

ponder

  • What is more important to cultivate-- a natural talent, or an acquired skill?
  • Why must my neighbor constantly run heavy machinery in the wee hours of the morning? How does he manage to drive his bulldozer more backwards than he does forwards so that there is a constant beeping noise?
  • Why can I not open a banana withouth turning the top into mush that oozes out the sides? Have I missed some secret?
  • Is God sarcastic? Job 38-- or am I misinterpreting it grossly?
  • The yogurt container in our fridge proudly announces that it contains 6 'live and active cultures'...not one, or four, but 6. A bold 6 with a sunburst behind it. Should this really make me want to eat it?
  • Does it grate on anyone else's subconcious when you see someone walking around with a large red spot on the back of their calf because they have sat with their legs crossed for a really long period of time?
  • Does my chin really quiver when I'm telling a lie?

7 comments:

David said...

Try peeling bananas from the bottom and it's a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

Put your left thumb on the concave part near the stem, make a little slit in the peel with your other thumbnail, then pull the stem back. That is the trick.

Peter Calamy said...

Bananas are just God's practical joke on mankind. He created the perfect fruit ... and then put in a peel for some reason.

By the way, I just have to note that your posts are hilarious. Some people just have the knack for communicating humor in their writing, and you have said skill.

Ming said...

Ok, I'm assuming you are the Ashlyn that I met at sign-ups on Wed. If not---I feel like a complete fool and apoligize.
Anyways, I just wanted to say it was nice to meet you and I hope you got the Spanish class that you wanted. =)

Ming said...

haha, now I don't feel so bad---I almost asked you the same thing. "Are you the Ashlyn, Sarah's friends with and that writes interesting science essays?" almost escaped my mouth at multiple times. Haha, anyways I'm glad you got the Spanish class!

Sarah said...

I saw you...and also Josh S...from the top floor of building three rccc (it rhymes!). I would have said hello, but, you know, there was glass...we'll have to chat between classes some time.

Danielle said...

For a banana, I always just cheat and make an incision with a knife. Maybe this shows a deeply flawed character, but at least my bananas are no longer mushy.

And yes, the red marks on people's legs are so weird. I feel bad for noticing, but it looks like an awful birthmark, you know?